What it means to be a member
Being a member of KCG means..
- Caring about the traditions of knitting and crochet in the UK. This country has a unique heritage in these crafts from Shetland lace to gansey sweaters, Sanquhar gloves to 'granny blankets, woollen stockings to lace doilies. Noble skills that have been handed down for hundreds of years and that you an be part of handing on to the next generation
- Supporting the UK's largest Collection of knitted and crocheted items: over 2000 made items, over 60,000 patterns, and hundreds of artefacts.
- Being part of a network of KCG branches which help members to develop their knitting and crochet skills. Much more than just 'knit and natter', they are opportunities for sharing experiences, inspiring new ideas and learning from each other.
- Receiving a quarterly journal, Slipknot, which includes authoritative articles written by members on techniques, special projects, our Collection, and Guild events
- Having access to free downloadable patterns from the Guild's archive.
- Attending exclusive Guild events such as our annual Convention, workshops and presentations.
- Aspiring to develop your craft and gain mastery in it. The Guild's Collection and the stunning work of other members will inspire you to develop your expertise. You don't have to be an experienced knitter or crocheter to join, but we hope every member wants to learn more about these crafts and enhance their skills in them.
- Through the members-only part of our website, via Twitter, Facebook and our Ravelry page, being part of an international network of members who can share ideas, techniques and experience. If you need help with a project, we will have a member with just the expertise you need.
- Joining in, getting involved and helping the Guild with its work, whether that is by being a Board member, being part of a branch, writing articles, updating our website, attending Guild events, and keeping in touch with other members.
- Above all, it means having access to a fantastic resource - people, textiles, patterns, knowledge, information and ideas.